Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems
Smart Grid R&D at Fraunhofer CSE
The Grid Integration group accelerates the development, commercialization, and deployment of technologies that will enable our power distribution infrastructure to operate with greater reliability, efficiency, security, responsiveness, at lower cost, and with higher levels of renewable energy generation. Our team is currently engaged in a multi-year effort funded by the Department of Energy to develop both the technology and broader commercialization framework to realize a “Plug and Play” PV system that can be purchased, installed, and commissioned by homeowners without the need to engage outside consultants or contractors.
The Grid Integration group supports the development and deployment of integrated energy systems and enabling technologies, from feasibility analysis to design optimization to system test, deployment, and data collection. We work together with the PV Technologies and the Building Energy Management Groups to fully realize the potential of tightly integrated distributed energy systems. This work leverages our expertise in renewable system integration, power conversion, intelligent control of generation and loads, and the power of information and communications technologies.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (ISE): ISE is the largest solar energy research institute in Europe. The Institute’s work ranges from fundamental scientific research through the development of production technology and prototypes to the construction of demonstration systems.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Wind Energy Systems (IWES): IWES researches wind energy and the integration of renewable energies into energy supply structures. The Institute is a merger of Fraunhofer's Center for Wind Energy and Maritime Engineering (CWMT) in Bremerhaven and the Institute for Solar Energy Technology (ISET) in Kassel.
- University of New Mexico (UNM): Founded in 1889 as New Mexico’s flagship institution, the University of New Mexico now occupies nearly 800 acres along old Route 66 in the heart of Albuquerque, a metropolitan area of more than 900,000 people. CSE collaborates with the UNM School of Engineering in a variety of projects.
- PNM: PNM is an energy holding company based in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Through its largest utility subsidiary, PNM Resources has been serving New Mexico customers for more than 90 years.
- National Grid: National Grid is an investor owned utility with operations in Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.
- Northeast Utilities: Northeast Utilities is an investor owned utility with operations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut.